Welcome to Boomtown!

aLAcrity Boomerangs is a group of boomerang enthusiasts from Los Angeles. At the moment, it is comprised of three people: Manny (a.k.a. v12aero), phnxhawk and Charles (a.k.a. hey_kuya).

Manny and I (phnxhawk) started this blog to share our interest in boomerangs--throwing and tuning, making our own rangs, as well as unraveling the science behind them. As we continue our journey into the world of boomerangs, we hope to make new friends and to expand our horizons. In this blog, we will post such things as videos from our regular throwing sessions, musings and lessons learned from throwing, and thoughts on making our own rangs.

Manny and I started throwing boomerangs since Spring 2009. It has been a long road as we developed a semblance of technique for throwing 'rangs. Nevertheless, after many a bruised hand or windy day, our fascination with these returning throwing sticks remains undimmed. We most certainly have more to learn about boomerangs, but we'll keep at it as long as we continue to have many happy returns.

--phnxhawk--

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Manny's First Returning Throw

by Manny

I watched the boomerang intently as it left my hand, anxiously anticipating yet another failed throw.  My previous five attempts had been mildly demoralizing, watching time after time as my boomerang skipped across the sand or simply flew way off course as if avoiding me.  I had seen phnxhawk throw effortlessly with a full return, and all I hoped was for a return to call my own. 
The boomerang sailed away from me in a flight parallel to the ground.  “Yes!” I thought.  "At least this time I didn't throw the boomerang straight into the ground."  As I continued to track it, the boomerang turned to the left.  “Ooh, I think that’s what it’s supposed to do,” I exclaimed to myself.  It continued to rise as it followed an elliptical pattern in the air, hitting its zenith.  The descent shortly followed, and the boomerang still continued on its flight, ever so slowly turning towards me.  Seconds seemed like minutes as the silhouette of the boomerang soared across the sky, its shadow bold against the murky sky that served as the backdrop.
It was coming towards me!  The boomerang was actually coming my way!  My pulse quickened as a rush of adrenaline ran through my body.  I had to be ready to catch it.  I couldn’t let this prime opportunity get away from me.  The rang decreased in altitude much like a plane on its approach to the runway, except this rang didn’t seem to have any braking mechanism of its own.   Still, it came, falling ever faster straight towards me.  A bull's-eye seemed to be painted on my chest.
“Catch it!” screamed a voice to my left.  It was phnxhawk.  He had taken note of my successful throw and was cheering me on, prodding me to complete my throw with a catch.  This could be my very first catch!
It was only several meters away now, but its speed was unwaning.   A feeling of apprehension sparked inside me as I timidly prepared for the catch.  My dread increased ever sharply as the gap between the boomerang and I disappeared. 
“Oh no!!”
It was the sound of my voice.  I broke down with the boomerang only two meters away flying at full speed straight towards my chest.  The fight or flight instinct took over, and I found myself choosing the less heroic of the two options.  In a split second, I dove to my left, falling to the sand for protection from the runaway boomerang that seemed so intent to find its target.  I heard it whizz by as I hit the beach floor.  Sand flew into my face as my body landed with a thud. 
I lay there silent as a flood of relief came over me.  That feeling was soon replaced by embarrassment.  I looked up to find phnxhawk staring at me, and a second later, we found ourselves laughing hysterically at the event that had just transpired.
My first successful returning throw was accomplished.  Catching it, however...that was another matter entirely.

0 comments:

Post a Comment