Welcome to Boomtown!

aLAcrity Boomerangs is a group of boomerang enthusiasts from Los Angeles. At the moment, it is comprised of three people: Manny (a.k.a. v12aero), phnxhawk and Charles (a.k.a. hey_kuya).

Manny and I (phnxhawk) started this blog to share our interest in boomerangs--throwing and tuning, making our own rangs, as well as unraveling the science behind them. As we continue our journey into the world of boomerangs, we hope to make new friends and to expand our horizons. In this blog, we will post such things as videos from our regular throwing sessions, musings and lessons learned from throwing, and thoughts on making our own rangs.

Manny and I started throwing boomerangs since Spring 2009. It has been a long road as we developed a semblance of technique for throwing 'rangs. Nevertheless, after many a bruised hand or windy day, our fascination with these returning throwing sticks remains undimmed. We most certainly have more to learn about boomerangs, but we'll keep at it as long as we continue to have many happy returns.

--phnxhawk--

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

V12Aero's Boomerang Bag

by V12Aero

Hello to anyone reading!  I received my recently purchased messenger bag in the mail today and decided to post some pics.

TA DAH!

From Rang Messenger Bag

Isn't it gorgeous?  (I can assure you that I do not work for CalPak)
You can click through the link on the bottom of the picture for other photos of the interior of the bag.

I was reading an article in the United States Boomerang Association's newsletter (http://www.usba.org/) on what kinds of items other boomerangers kept in their boom bag and I realized that I myself didn't have a legitimate "boom bag."  I embarked on an epic quest to find one to call my own (lots and lots of web surfing and online "window" shopping) and now days later here it is!

So what kinds of items will I keep in my boom bag?  Mostly boomerang accessories of course.  Scotch tape is necessary for attaching weights (mostly coins) to the arms of my booms for better wind resistance and range.  I put in several quarters, nickels, etc in there so I can see which type of coin works best.  An alternative to coins is rubber bands which I also have in there.

Rounding out the rest of my stuff is a boomerang tuning handbook I got with my purchases, my throwing gloves, a small microfiber towel, snacks, my water bottle, and of course my boomerangs.  Nothing too out of the ordinary yet though I plan to purchase an Aerobie ring, http://aerobie.com/, for whenever I feel like throwing something that doesn't come back ha ha.

Keep a look out for we will have some posts later this week on some new boomerangs my friend and I just purchased from "The Boomerang Man", a sort of boomerang review if you will.   Two of the boomerangs are by Adam Carroll and are made of some high density phenolic (a type of plastic).  The boomerangs are the "Kick Ass" (yes it is really called that) and Ayr (as in "air", get it?, har har har)  You can take a look of what they look like here: http://www.realboomerangs.com/catalog.html

There is also a third one manufactured by LMI&FOX called the Stephane Marguerite made out of poly+carbon material that will also be arriving and can be seen HERE.

We usually throw our rangs at Dockweiler Beach near LAX on weekends and that is where we will throw this weekend once more.  Our plan is to set up flags every 10 yards, starting at 30 yards out to about 60 yards to gauge the range of the boomerangs.  Their range is supposed to be about 50 meters which is a pretty good distance out.  Hopefully we can get some good video of the boomerangs in flight.  It can be challenging sometimes to follow the boom once its in the air with the small camera screen.

Happy Throwing!



0 comments:

Post a Comment