Welcome to Boomtown!

aLAcrity Boomerangs is a group of boomerang enthusiasts from Los Angeles. At the moment, it is comprised of three people: Manny (a.k.a. v12aero), phnxhawk and Charles (a.k.a. hey_kuya).

Manny and I (phnxhawk) started this blog to share our interest in boomerangs--throwing and tuning, making our own rangs, as well as unraveling the science behind them. As we continue our journey into the world of boomerangs, we hope to make new friends and to expand our horizons. In this blog, we will post such things as videos from our regular throwing sessions, musings and lessons learned from throwing, and thoughts on making our own rangs.

Manny and I started throwing boomerangs since Spring 2009. It has been a long road as we developed a semblance of technique for throwing 'rangs. Nevertheless, after many a bruised hand or windy day, our fascination with these returning throwing sticks remains undimmed. We most certainly have more to learn about boomerangs, but we'll keep at it as long as we continue to have many happy returns.

--phnxhawk--

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Boomerangs of William Glover, mixing old school experience with 21st century materials!

It was less than a year ago when I paid a visit to William Glover's web site, I wanted to get to know more about him, after all he created "Griffin" and "High Voltage" two popular and classic boomerangs from the 80's. I quickly learned that William was an old school kind of guy and that when it came to making his boomerangs, that they would only be made of the finest plywood available. I really admired that, but I thought if he would just take a look at some of modern materials that are available we would have some really awesome and interesting boomerangs.

Well, dreams do come true! During my search last winter for boomerangs made of synthetic materials, I was able to find one. I had originally started my search on Volker's site looking at G12 and Pax models, but I also decided to check out Ebay. On Ebay I found a boomerang that met all my needs and my budget (free shipping). That boomerang was "Patriot". Patriot was described as a serious Aussie round boomerang for competitors and advanced beginners, made of tough linen phenolic by William Glover! "Linen phenolic"........"William Glover"!...........Whaaaaaaaaat!!

I don't know what caused the change of heart, but I can tell you this. We all benefit! William perfectly blends his old school experience with new 21st century materials. Each of his linen phenolic boomerangs still have that great hand made feeling about them while retaining a modern look. Even his classic boomerangs look and fly fantastically. Paint schemes can vary from simple to artistic, when you have a Glover rang in hand, you know it. The way he applies paint to his boomerangs whether simple or art is some of the best and most durable I've seen. And he backs all his stuff up with some of the best customer service available. Check out the pictures and video below. I will be updating pictures and video soon.

Patriot


About a week ago William sent me another one of his linen phenolic masterpieces "Blue Thunder". He recently changed the name to "Distant Thunder". Probably because "Thunder" gets out far.

Blue Thunder


The collection so far!

Here is some video I put together, Enjoy!




To purchase please contact

Bill Glover at WWW.GLOVERRANGS.COM
Rich Harrison at WWW.BOOMERANGMAN.COM
Ted Bailey at WWW.FLIGHT-TOYS.COM

More pictures, video, reviews and updates to follow soon.

Charles aka hey_kuya

0 comments:

Post a Comment