Welcome to Boomtown!

aLAcrity Boomerangs is a group of boomerang enthusiasts from Los Angeles. At the moment, it is comprised of three people: Manny (a.k.a. v12aero), phnxhawk and Charles (a.k.a. hey_kuya).

Manny and I (phnxhawk) started this blog to share our interest in boomerangs--throwing and tuning, making our own rangs, as well as unraveling the science behind them. As we continue our journey into the world of boomerangs, we hope to make new friends and to expand our horizons. In this blog, we will post such things as videos from our regular throwing sessions, musings and lessons learned from throwing, and thoughts on making our own rangs.

Manny and I started throwing boomerangs since Spring 2009. It has been a long road as we developed a semblance of technique for throwing 'rangs. Nevertheless, after many a bruised hand or windy day, our fascination with these returning throwing sticks remains undimmed. We most certainly have more to learn about boomerangs, but we'll keep at it as long as we continue to have many happy returns.

--phnxhawk--

Sunday, May 29, 2011

New Booms in the Bag & Other Stories

--by phnxhawk--

I have uploaded pictures of some of the latest boomerangs to be added to my throwing bag. Have a look. Since the start of the calendar year, I have added several Blue Star and Adam Carroll 'rangs: Volker's Sussex Hook in paxolin and G12, Large Marathon, Suzuki and Wyche and Adam's Spirit and Blast.

In other news, I reminded myself yesterday why I should not throw when the winds are gusting up to 18 mph. I had decided to throw for an hour or so at a local park, since I had some free time in my schedule for the day. It started out well enough; the wind was a pretty stiff breeze, but was still manageable. Over the course of the hour, I was driven around the park by the arrival of families and their children as well as the deteriorating weather conditions. (Well, it was still a sunny day, but the winds had picked up tremendously in that time.)

In defiance of common sense, I decided to try throwing in a lowered basin which happens to be ringed by tall trees and is adjacent to a fence dividing the park from a small airport. A couple test throws with my Windeater 3 were blown around, but not to the point at which I would have been convinced to stop. On my third throw--at eye level, by my reckoning--the boomerang suddenly climbed high into the air and proceeded to swing back well overhead, careening toward the airport. A stinging wall of wind seemed to follow in its wake.

As I whipped around to track it, I realized how much I had underestimated the effects of the gusts. My poor boomerang had been carried up to a height greater than that of the fence (which is at the top of the basin, to boot). Whispering various expletives as I imagined the mayhem that could ensue if it found its way past the fence, I watched it fly into one of the trees along the rim of the basin. I paused for a moment and let out a sigh of relief.

Dread sunk in. I knew that Volker Behrens was shutting down production and foresaw that I had just added another boomerang to any final order I would place this weekend. I packed up my bag and worked my way up the slope to assess the situation. Standing by the tree, I craned my head to look up at the branch where the boomerang had been caught, mulling over various means of retrieving it. Suddenly, the boomerang tumbled from its initial perch and caught on a lower branch. The gusts were shaking the tree enough that it was loosening its grip on my boomerang. Two minutes later, my hopes were fulfilled, and Windeater hit the grass with a dull thud.

I had narrowly escaped "disaster," and I knew it. The last thing I needed was to have the owner of an expensive airplane demanding answers as to why his aluminum skins were dented. Every now and then, I need to learn an old lesson once again. (Hopefully, the price remains only as high as the cost of one boomerang.)

"Putting my spin boomerangs..."

0 comments:

Post a Comment